Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) — a colorless, odorless gas — can be produced from improperly vented furnaces, plugged or cracked chimneys, water heaters, space heaters, fireplaces, stoves, and tail pipes.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are flu-like and may include headache, dizziness, fatigue, chest pain, vomiting, and possible death.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Open windows
- Move yourself and other victims to fresh air immediately
- Call 911
- Call your local utility provider
CO safety tips:
Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home and check it regularly to make sure the battery is working. NYC law requires owners to provide and install at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm within 15 feet of the primary entrance to each sleeping room. CO detectors should also be installed in areas where fuel is burned. Make sure your heating system is kept clean and properly vented.
- Kerosene heaters are dangerous and illegal in New York City. Do not heat your home with a gas stove or oven
- Never use a charcoal grill or a Hibachi indoors
- Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide. Open your garage door before starting your car and do not leave the motor running in an enclosed area
- Clear exhaust pipes before starting a car or truck after it snows
Co-op & Condo Management
Representing Cooperatives and Condominiums for over 25 years, New Bedford recognizes the unique concerns of the homeowner community and its elected representatives, the Board of directors.Learn More
New Bedford recognizes the unique concerns of the Owner/ Investor and the need to balance rapid response with cost concerns. New Bedford is able to provide you with a custom service, repair and financial plan.Learn More